Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Welcome Home Janelle

Hi, I'm Nikky Raney and this is going to be a blog about my cat, Janelle. Before I just dive into talking about my cat I am going to make this post an introduction to my cat and me. So, here is the story of how it all happened:


My boyfriend, Dennis, and I had moved into our very own apartment in May of 2011 - the only downside was that his fraternity brother, Craig, would also be living with us. At the end of the month Craig had the idea that we should go to the Bangor Humane Society and look at cats. I had previously thrown out the idea that I wanted a cat, because I had never had a pet before and I love cats, but I didn't think it would actually happen. Dennis knew this was a disaster waiting to happen since Craig and I could never agree on anything.

When we arrived at the Humane Society it was not yet open, so we had to wait another hour for it to open. While we waited there was a fenced area where the cats could go and sit on a ledge or play around. The three of us went to look at the cats and there was one that I really liked. Dennis took a picture of the cat on his cell phone, and that cat was a 5-year-old named Janelle.

When the Humane Society finally opened I rushed in and saw Janelle. I started playing with her and immediately felt like we had a connection. Whenever another cat tried to come near me Janelle would hiss and attack that cat. I felt like she was meant to be my cat.

Craig was not so keen on Janelle. Craig found a gray cat named Phoebe which we found out had been moved from the open cat area for being too aggressive. Craig wanted Phoebe and I wanted Janelle. Neither of us had asked the landlord for permission to get a cat yet, so we ended up leaving without either cat.

I couldn't stop thinking about Janelle and how much I wanted her to be my cat. There were other people there that were holding her once I left and I was sad thinking that I would never see her again.

June 7 was my 21st birthday and Dennis and I were in New Hampshire celebrating with my parents. Dennis told me that for my birthday I could have a cat, and that he had agreed with Craig that I would be getting the cat for my birthday. I was so excited and I thought about finally being able to have Janelle. My boyfriend insisted that Janelle would not be there when we got back so I shouldn't get my hopes too high up.

We returned to Maine and on June 9 we went to Petco to buy all the essentials for having a cat including a litter box and litter. While we were there we saw two kittens that were for sale, but I insisted that I wanted to go to the Humane Society and get Janelle.

On June 10 Dennis got home from work at around 5 p.m. and the Humane Society was closing at 6. When we got to the Humane Society I ran in and there she was. In a cage that was right at the front desk was Janelle, my cat. There was a sign on her cage that said "Name Your Own Price!" and that alone made Dennis happy.

I didn't even look at any other cat. The man remembered me from the few weeks prior and he gave me paperwork to fill out. Janelle was put in a cardboard carrier as she waited to be brought home. The video attached is the car ride home:



We knew that life with Janelle would be full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment